Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Downsizing

After having made several bed quilts, like my Easy Street, I felt it was time to downsize a little bit. A baby quilt was the perfect thing to make. After looking around on the net, I found this tutorial .The size of the quilt is just perfect.

Here is my version:


The quilt is approximately 39" x 39", and is mostly made of scraps. There are approximately 50 different colored blocks, in addition to white solids.


The result is bright and colorful quilt, with a lot of eye-candy for little eyes. I used all kinds of fabric, different shapes, flowers , cats, novelty prints,and I even found some frogs! I used a color scheme that will suit both boys and girls.


The evening sun in the forest really brightens up the little baby quilt. I really enjoyed making this one, and it came together fast.


I made a pieced back for this quilt, mostly consisting of a cute, vintage flannel duvet cover loaded with flowers and swans. There were also room for a couple of leftover blocks on the back. Actually, the back is so nice that the quilt is completely reversible! Which side that will be used depends on the mood of the baby (or the parents).


I had to have more pictures from the woods, because it was such a lovely, warm afternoon. I love to drape my quilts on trees and rocks out in the forest.



The last picture shows details of the blocks and quilting. It is quilted using my walking foot and straight lines in grass green quilting thread. The different blocks are so busy, and the green thread was just perfect for the pieced back, also. The green thread frames the white squares in a nice way.

I used cotton batting, and the binding is purple polka dots on white background. The quilt will be washed and dried before it finds its new home.


Linked up to  Richard and Tanya's blog.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. It's so bright and cheery and a scrap buster. I love how you quilted it in green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out great! The colors are wonderful and bright. The back is nice too.
    Nancy at PugMomQuilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is adorable...like a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave me a quick note!